Writing Assignment D: Technological Innovation (MLA Research)
Instructions: Write a 3-4 page research paper arguing for the or against the development of an invention that is about to be released or is on the horizon for a chosen field (e.g. medicine, health, engineering, entertainment, media, energy, education, transportation, culinary arts, law enforcement, security, fashion, housing, military, etc.). Your research should focus on what experts in a specialized field project about this innovation. In your research paper, you should describe an innovation that is about to be released, or is currently being developed, or is in prototype form, though is not yet readily available to consumers or organizations. In your research paper, you should not only describe the facts about this innovation (Who is working on developing this innovation? What will it do and what is its purpose? When will it be available for consumers or organizations? Why is it being developed?) but also argue how the innovation will benefit or harm humankind (i.e. the positive and/or negative implications of developing the technology).
The important parts of the assignment are to
1) develop a research process (plan) and conduct research;
2) develop an argument
3) evaluate and select research sources;
4) Use at least three academic sources (e.g. scholarly journals, book/e-books, peer-reviewed websites)
5) properly document sources, using the MLA-style (7th edition).
This assignment will require you to learn:
- to use the library resources to access databases and evaluate sources, developing information literacy
- MLA-style of documentation, including use of in-text citations and proper formatting of quotations
- how to compile a Works Cited page (Please note that to earn a passing grade, this assignment must include a Works Cited page.)