APA-style Paper Assignment
Purpose: A) Become familiar with different types of academic information sources.
B) Use sources in support of a written paper.
C) Learn proper citation of resources: in-text (in the body of the paper) and references (list of works cited).
1. Choose one of four topics:
- · A lesser-known therapist (famous, well-known therapists will be discussed in classes)
- · A specific aspect of a theory (common theories you may choose from will be discussed in classes)
- · A historical event that affected social service work
- · A social service program that currently is providing specific services
2. Write about:
- · Background information on your topic, your topic’s influence in the field, and how it applies today.
- · And...do you agree or disagree with the theory, theorist, or social service? Why, and why not? Other writing ideas: compare and contrast persons, theories, programs, applications, and international interpretations of the topic. What do other experts say about these subjects, and how do you feel about their interpretations, criticisms, explanations…?
- · In the case of a historical event related to social service, what was its impact at the time; does it still influence the field? If so, how, and if not, why not?
3. Use AT LEAST THREE of these types of resources for information on your topic:
- · an encyclopedia on psychology (not a general encyclopedia like World Book)
- · a book, or chapters/sections from a book
- · an article from a general or popular magazine (lay article)
- · an article from a scholarly/academic journal
Try the tabs in this guide on encyclopedias, books and articles for tips on finding good sources for your topic! You'll explore several of each kind before you settle on your topic and the best resources on your topic.
· Note that Web sites, including Wikipedia, are NOT acceptable (though you might use them to find the academic sources listed above).
For ALL SOURCES, take notes, re-read key points, look up words you don't understand, and BE SURE to write down (or photocopy) the title of the source, author, editor(s) (if any), publisher, city of publication, date of publication, volume and issue information (if any) and page number(s) so you can cite the source later.
4. Special instructions about IN-TEXT CITATIONS:
- Include at least one in-text citation per typed page of your paper.
What’s an in-text citation? Click on the tab on APA style….
5. Don’t forget to cite your sources (See step 3) in a separate References list--the last page of your paper.
What should an APA-style references list look like? Click on the tab!
6. Type your paper in APA style, BUT...include the cover grading sheet as you have for previous assignments (single-spaced, with: paper title, your name, SSMH 100, instructor's name, and the due date).