The library research session and this guide will help you:
- choose and refine a topic in psychology that you can research
- identify the difference between a research article and review article
- explore several online research tools specific to the field of psychology
- find good sources for your class
- cite your sources using proper APA citation style
Choose a topic from chapters 5, 8, or 9 in your text book which you can also find a scholarly research article (only) from PsycARTICLES. Make sure this is an article discussing an experiment methods, hypothesis, findings, etc.... (not edited versions). Make sure to attach your article to the end of your paper by copying & pasting. APA style should still be used.
Write four paragraphs covering all of the following:
- A paragraph including why you chose this topic, how you went about choosing this topic. How exactly did you locate your scholarly article from PsycARTICLES? Did you access the internet from home, or, did you ask the Pierce Librarian for help?
- A paragraph including what you learned from reading the article? Did you learn what you thought you would, based on your reason for choosing this topic? Or, did you learn something else?
- A paragraph including what the main article ideas, and the main ideas from the topic in the text book. Does the information in the text book and the article relate well as one idea? Are there several small ideas—what are they? Where was the research conducted? Why was the research conducted-aims or goals of the research? When was the research conducted? Was it over a long period of time, or just a few days or weeks? Who conducted the research? Did the text book mention the same name/s?
- A paragraph including how this information is affecting you. Look back on your reasons for choosing this topic, as well as what you have learned during the process of this assignment.